The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS), the joint Data Science Academy of Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands, invites applications for an Assistant Professor position in Data-Driven Business/Entrepreneurship. We welcome applications from individuals with research interests and high-quality track record on the interface of data science/AI and strategy/entrepreneurship/innovation management. Prior experience and interest in natural language processing and text mining techniques is appreciated.
The assistant professor will be invited to join the externally funded research projects such as designing innovative business models for a European platform in healthcare and new ventures that employ data science and AI for new services. The assistant professor is expected to teach at both the bachelor’s and the master’s level in such courses as Strategy and Business Models, Data-Driven Businesses, and Statistics for Data Scientists. Teaching at the PDEng, PhD and Executive levels, supervising master thesis projects as well as PhD projects is also part of the expected responsibilities. Teaching/research time is divided roughly 50/50.
The faculty at JADS publishes in various top journals and conferences in line with their scientific discipline. For the Data Entrepreneurship unit such journals include Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Product Innovation Management, and Small Business Economics, Journal of Information Technology, Decision Support Systems, etc. Due to the strong ecosystem and funding acquisition track record, JADS can uniquely facilitate initiation of new projects in collaboration with various organizations, and the new colleague will be expected to join such initiatives.
There are three research units in JADS: Data Governance, Data Analytics, and Data Entrepreneurship. The Data Entrepreneurship (DE) unit focuses on how data can be used to create and capture value for business and society. We combine the two fields, Data Science and Entrepreneurship/Business. The main research lines are:
(1) investigating how and why big data and AI enable established businesses and entrepreneurs to become successful. In particular, the unit studies the implications of big data and AI on the digital value propositions, business models, platforms, and strategies of firms, and analyzes the (new) ways in which value can be captured from to digitalization. Example projects: Digital disruption and new business models that arise with digitization and transition to it; new business opportunities due to data; best ways to design and scale up platforms.
(2) applying and developing state-of-the-art data science methods and techniques to better address strategy/management/entrepreneurship research questions. Example projects: Using computer vision to analyze emotions and body language to infer the best pitching strategies of entrepreneurs to VCs; using natural language processing to understand optimal competitive positioning in different markets; using network analysis to understand and predict interaction dynamics in organizations.
(3) augmenting data science techniques with data-driven decision-making tools on the interface between human cognition and business and innovation. Example projects: Recommender systems that encourage getting “outside of the news bubble” and explainable AI; how users react to privacy-sensitive permissions in the Google Play Store, in particular excessive permissions that are not needed for the app functionalities.
The ideal starting date is early Autumn 2022 (e.g. September or October 1, 2022)
We offer a full-time Assistant Professor position. In principle, successful candidates receive first a contract for 12 months (for internal candidates) or 18 months (for external candidates). After this period, if your suitability has been proven and you continue in the same position, you will receive an employment contract for an indefinite period of time.
The salary amounts to a minimum of € 3821,– and a maximum of € 5230,- gross per month for full-time employment, based on UFO profile of Assistant Professor 2 and salary scale 11 of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. JADS uses a neutral remuneration system for salary scaling that is based on work experience.
JADS offers excellent employment conditions with attention to flexibility and (personal) development and attractive fringe benefits. You are entitled to a vacation allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% of your gross annual income. If you work 40 hours per week, you will receive 41 paid days of leave per year. Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance of 30% of their taxable salary if they meet the relevant conditions. The university applies for this allowance on their behalf.
We make clear agreements about career paths and offer all kinds of facilities and arrangement to maintain an optimal balance between work and private life. You can also follow numerous training courses, for example, in the areas of leadership skills, personal effectiveness, and career development.
All employees of the university are covered by the so-called General Pension Fund for Public Employers (Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP).
JADS values an open and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity and encourage the mutual integration of groups of employees and students. We focus on creating equal opportunities for all our employees and students so that everyone feels at home in our university community.
All researchers working in JADS have contracts at either Tilburg University or Eindhoven University of Technology. Please visit Working at Tilburg University and Working at Eindhoven University of Technology for more information on their respective employment conditions.
The Netherlands is regarded as one of the best countries for raising a family. For more on working in JADS, see https://www.jads.nl/vacancies.
We invite you to apply online for this position.
Deadline: Until filled. July 1 first interviews will be planned.
The only way to apply is online, which can be done via the button below.
Please attach the following documents to the application:
1) cover letter
2) CV including the publication list
3) recent education evaluations (if any)
4) contact information for two referees (including name, phone number, and e-mail address). We only approach referees for candidates who go to the second selection round.
We do cool stuff that matters, with data. The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) is a unique cooperation between Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and Tilburg University (TiU). At JADS, we believe that data science can provide answers to society’s complex issues. We provide innovative educational programs, data science research, and support for business and society. With a team of lecturers, students, scientists and entrepreneurs – from a wide range of sectors and disciplines – we work on creating impact with data science. We do this by connecting people, sectors and industries: in the past 5 years we have been working with 300+ organizations on data-related projects. Our main drivers? Doing cool stuff that matters with data. Our location at the former monastery Mariënburg in Den Bosch houses a vibrant campus fully dedicated to data science.
Being the second campus for both TiU and TU/e, JADS is about an hour away from Amsterdam (the Netherlands), Antwerp (Belgium), and Aachen (Germany). JADS hosts master, PDEng, PhD and Professional Education programs, all positioned at the interface of data science and business. The same building hosts a plentiful of AI startups and scale-ups, further reflecting the business relevance of both research and teaching at JADS.